Saturday, November 12, 2011

I hate daylight savings

I do. I hate daylight savings.

I didn't used to. Oh, I was annoyed in the spring when I lost an hour, but I loved the falling back and gaining an hour. Then I had my son.

Now I hate it.

People without kids don't realize what it does to those who do. Our "gain an hour, lose a hour" is backwards. Little kids can't tell time. They don't understand an extra hour of sleep. They wake up when they wake up, regardless of what numbers are on the clock.

The past 2 years we've been able to manage the change with few problems. For the week before the time change I've adjusted bedtime slowly to make the transition as smooth as possible. The past 2 years it worked pretty well.

This year it did not. At all.

See, the main problem was that Tommy had surgery to redo the tubes in his ears the Thursday before. We left the house at 5:30am. He didn't nap all morning or afternoon after we got home. He then fell asleep in the car on the way to pick up Daddy at 4:30. He didn't wake up (not to say I didn't try). Even through a diaper change and changing him into his PJs, he slept on. He slept all night long and didn't wake up until about 6:30 the next morning. So, no adjusting the bedtime that night.

The next problem was Saturday night, the night daylight savings ended. We were at his grandmother's house for the day, and loaded up to drive home about 6pm, which is 2 hours before his regular bedtime. I figured we'd keep him up till about 9, then he could go to bed and sleep his regular 11 hours and get up at a decent time.

No deal. He fell asleep on the way home. And again, he didn't wake up. I sat him up in the living room with the TV on and the lights blaring - nothing. I talked to him and asked if he wanted dinner - nothing. I changed his diaper and put his PJs on - I got "mmmm, night-night, Mommy."

And then he woke up at 5am. Which was now 4am. In his defense, he slept for his normal 11 hours. He didn't know Mommy and Daddy were entitled to an extra hour of sleep. He said it was time to get up and watch Little Einsteins. Nothing I said could change his mind. So, he got up, and we turned on the TV. What else is there to do at 4:30am? There wasn't actually anything for him to watch on Disney or PBS, so we went to the DVR. Which meant that every 25 minutes we had to get back out of bed and start a new episode. I tried to get him to watch a DVD, which would give us some rest, but he insisted on Little Einsteins, and at that hour I didn't have enough brain cells working to try to win an argument with a 2 year old.

So, flash forward to today. Daylight savings has been gone for 6 days. He should be adjusted. We've moved his bedtime back an hour. He should be getting up when I want him to get up. Nope. He's getting up an hour earlier. Still. Which means that Mommy has to get up 30 min earlier, and I have no "alone" time in the morning anymore. Not a good thing.

So, tomorrow starts another week. I tried to keep him up late tonight like I did last night. Instead, since he refuses to take naps at home anymore, he fell asleep at 7, instead of 9 like I wanted. Since I know that trying to wake him won't do any good, I put him to bed.

I guess instead of perusing the other NaBloPoMo blog posts I should sign off and go to bed early myself.

Stupid Daylight Savings.

1 comment:

  1. It was the same with the Alzheimer's patients I worked with in a nursing home, only spring was worse. The patients got one hour less sleep that night, and didn't understand why we were getting them up and dressed while it was still dark outside. This went on for 2-3 weeks.

    I hate DST also. It's the only time I wish we lived in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete