Monday, June 11, 2012


Yesterday was all about timing, and the timing was a little off. But somehow it worked itself out.

Tommy usually wakes up around 6:30-7ish. Sunday is my only morning to sleep in a little. So, yesterday he woke up at 5:15 with a soaked through diaper and didn't go back to sleep. Timing issue #1.

So we took turns getting him food and milk while he watched TV until it was finally time to actually get up and get ready for church. After church we ate lunch and then got ready to go visit Sam's mom. We had a good visit and headed home around 4pm.

Tommy never naps at home anymore. Even if he falls asleep in the car he wakes up when we get home. Yesterday he fell asleep in the car and didn't wake up when we got home. Timing issue #2. I transferred him to his bed and fully expected him to wake up before too long. At 6:30 I decided he'd napped long enough and should probably wake up so he could eat supper and have a bath before his actual bedtime. He disagreed. So I held him while I bounced and rocked back and forth on my feet until he went back to sleep, then laid him down in his bed and covered him back up. (Let me tell you, it's much more difficult to hold a 35.5 pound 39 inch long toddler over your shoulder and bounce him back to sleep than it is to hold the same child when they're a baby.)  So I fully expected him to stay asleep, but 1 hour later he was fully awake and quite happy to get up and eat supper. What a difference that hour made! We all ate dinner, he got his bath (which had been desperately needed), and then it was time for him to go back to bed. He acted sleepy, wanted me to read his books in bed instead of sitting in his chair, and didn't protest when I said goodnight and left his room.

So I figured he was good to go. But when I was cleaning the kitchen at 10:00 I heard his bed creaking. I went in to check on him, and he was still awake! Timing issue #3. So, I got him a drink and restarted his bedtime cd. This time it worked. When I went back in 30 minutes later he was snoring. And he slept through the night and didn't wake up till 6:20 this morning.

So, this morning we're all a little tired, but we're on our regular schedule again. Let's hope today's timing is much more predictable.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lisa! I found your blog via my mom's FB page! I didn't want to write on FB so I hope you get this in time.

    Wednesday is her last day of work at NCS!!! I am trying to contact anyone who has been to the school or was associated with it in anyway and who might have a memory or story about my mom. Would you be willing to send her an e mail or FB message this Wednesday and encourage her on her last day of work? *****And please feel free to secretly pass this request along to as many North people as you can. I'd love to have her inbox flooded with good memories and appreciation for 29 years of dedications!

    I hope you're doing well! I get updates from your mom.